Are you working on your fitness? Let's train together! You can commit to 20 minutes, can't you!?! It's a great start. 5 days of 4 minute workouts. #2017TabataChallenge That's right... just 4 minutes a pop! I'm asking you to work out with me and have a chance to be featured on AnnaKooiman.com (and social feeds)! Click here for more info on how to take part! Also! Don't forget to SUBSCRIBE to AnnaKooiman.com
There is so much buzz in Oz right now around Vivid Sydney. I had to check it out and share how cool it is! And just so you can begin to understand the enormity of this event... I'll let you in on a secret! Vivid Sydney is now in the Guinness World Records as the globe's largest festival of light, music, and ideas! They actually broke their own record! How many lights did it take... to take the cake as largest interactive lighting display?!? 124,128! The events run from 26 May to 17 June, 2017.
Make sure you take a look at the YouTube video I put together from my experiences at Vivid Sydney. I took the ferry from Rose Bay to Circular Quay... met my husband for a yummy Thai dinner... and then strolled around the light show eating gelato. It was such a fun night. In the video I've posted above... you'll see projections of space, sea creatures, animals, and trippy psychedelic images illuminating iconic landmarks throughout Sydney including the Sydney Harbour Bridge, Sydney Opera House, Royal Botanic Garden Sydney, Taronga Zoo, and the Museum of Contemporary Art. At the end of the video you'll see Darling Harbour’s Magicians of the Mist. It's a 50 meter high water fountain that features 40 meter high projections, lasers, fireworks, and flames. As with many of the displays, a dramatic soundtrack tells the light story in perfect sync. I have to say this is one of the best events I've been to since moving to Australia! I enjoyed it more than the fireworks on New Year's Eve! Although that display is even more iconic... the crowds are more manageable at Vivid Sydney.
Is there somewhere you've always wanted to travel that requires a lot of time in the air? A cool town in Europe, Asia, or Australia? A place you've been dreaming about? What's stopping you? Are you thinking something like this? "I can't bear to do that flight... it's a long haul. It's too overwhelming. I'll stay home. I can't do it!" Well.... I say.... "YES you can! And here's how!"
1. Load up on the H2O... Take it easy on the alcohol. It's always fun when the food and beverage cart comes by on long flights... and you might be extra excited that you don't have to pay for beer and wine.... But I advise against drinking too many booze. It's easy to get dehydrated on these epic journeys in the air. Alcohol adds to that likelihood.
2. Keep your toiletry bag handy. It's nice to be able to brush your teeth, wipe your face down, etc... I like to put wet wipes or hand sanitizer in there too. The other must have for your magic sack? Moisturizer? Your skin will likely get very dry while you're up in the air. Lotion will keep you comfortable. I recommend bringing a moisturizer suitable for your face and body.
3. Invest in a pair of compression socks. But buy them before you get to the airport. I forgot mine this trip and ended up spending about three times what I would have if I'd planned better! Compression socks are often recommended by physicians because they keep the blood flowing on long flights. They prevent achey legs and feet that can be associated with cramped seating.
4. Walk Around. Even if you don't need to use the restroom... Get up! Get moving every so often. I leave my seat every two hours or so. Just like using compression socks... walking around keeps the blood flowing and decreases chances of deep vein thrombosis.
5. Check the back of the plane for free fruit and snacks. I have found that on most long haul flights the airlines will keep apples or some sort of fruit in a couple areas accessible by passengers between meals.
6. Bring a shaker cup and protein powder. I like to bring the individual packs... and pick a blend that also includes some vitamins and minerals. This won't take up much space in your carry-on... and will be great to have if you don't get enough to eat or you don't like the meal you were served. Drinking a protein shake along the way will also ensure you are getting proper nutrition. Again, it also encourages you to drink more H2O!
7. Bring healthy crunchy snacks. I like to bring split pea snacks, dried chickpeas, or edamame. These are great between airline meals. The salt and crunch often gives me a little pick-me-up if I'm feeling motion sick or lethargic.
8. Pack a compressible, comfy, and cozy jacket or sweater. Sometimes these flights get cold. I mean COLD. The airlines will provide a light blanket, but sometimes that's not enough for me. This is a biggie... don't forget!
9. Fight jet lag by getting on your destination's time zone ahead of time... Here's what I mean... Even if it is mid-morning in your departure city... if it happens to be evening in your destination city... imagine the meal you are about to eat is your DINNER... not your breakfast or lunch... sometimes you can really fool yourself.
10. Consider eye masks and melatonin to help you sleep. A lot of folks like to take sleeping pills, whether over the counter or prescription. But I prefer to do things in more natural ways when possible. Eye masks (similar to headphones) can help tune out the foreign environment around you. Melatonin can help get your circadian rhythms on track for your new 'bedtime.' It is said to reduce the time needed to fall asleep.
Australia! Puerto Rico! Dominican Republic! Jamaica! Hawaii!
It's a zoo... with a view! An incredible view at that. The Taronga Zoo overlooks the Sydney Opera House and Sydney Harbour Bridge. Walking into the park we are greeted by giraffes grazing in the sunshine. They are a real crowd favorite. But my main reason for coming to Taronga? Koalas and kangaroos. The zookeepers are giving us an incredible experience. You ready for this!? A meet and greet with some of their animal ambassadors. It's feeding time for not just the koalas and kangaroos... but the emus... swamp wallabies... and quokkas. They are all feeling 'snacky' too! ;-) We're in for a real treat! Check out the above video to see what it's like to interact with these unique animals!
Sintra (not to be confused with Sinatra ;-)) is a fantastical small town not too far from the bustling city of Lisbon, Portugal. Easy trip. So hop on a train for less than 20 miles... and soon you will feel like a fairy tale princess! Seriously... I felt like I was in a Disney movie... just call me Jasmine. ;-) I would recommend blocking out about half a day for this trip. I imagine you will want to see the National Palace, Moorish Castle, and Pena Palace.
Spend just a few moments in Tuscany.. particularly at sunrise or sunset... and it's easy to see why these smooth Italians have been inspiring, artists, photographers, poets, and lovers for ages. The tall, slender, green cypress trees and shrubs lining the road's and property pathways are synonymous with the region. And the sun's rays bouncing off grape vines and olive trees all in perfect symmetry is breathtaking. Oh... and the wine ain't bad to sip on either! ;-)
My first trip to Tuscany is one I'll never forget. It got me hooked on Chianti Classico wine. The Chianti region is in the center of Tuscany... which is also in the center of Italy. I spent a few days in a villa enjoying the greens, oranges, and yellows of the landscape... and of course the tasty wine the area produces. Chianti wines were originally known for their traditional squatty bottles encased with straw... today they display a special seal of approval. Wines that exhibit the famous black rooster symbol are also certified as 'Chianti Classico' because they contain 80% Sangiovese grapes (the common red grape of the area) and 20% of other grapes native to the region or international varieties like Cabernet Sauvignon and Merlot.
Legs for days! These Radio City Rockettes are world renown for their annual Christmas Spectacular! People travel from all over the globe to New York City to see them. The ladies tell me the tradition has been around since 1933. For many of these dancin’ machines… it’s been a dream to be part of the team since they were little girls.
I've learned a lot of travel hacks from being on the road for breaking news and fun, road trip feature stories around the US, I also have a tremendous itch for world travel. I'll share long haul travel tips too. Hopefully you can learn from my mistakes!
Do you want 2017 to be the year you get your body back? Get the body you've always wanted? You can commit to 20 minutes, can't you!?! 5 days of 4 minute intense workouts. That's right... just 4 minutes a pop! It's a great start to get you on the road to establishing healthy fitness habits. Click here to get in on the action, workout with me, and have a chance to be featured on AnnaKooiman.com (and social feeds)... #2017TabataChallenge
This turkey taco chili is so simple, delicious, and nutritious! I have made it about 100 times, 100 different ways. After a lot of trial and error, this is definitely a recipe worth sharing! Let me know on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, or YouTube if you try it!
- 1.25 lbs ground turkey (.5 kg turkey mince)
- 1 can kidney beans
- 1 can cannelli beans
- 1 can sweet corn
- 1 can crushed tomatoes
- 1 carton beef stock (can also use chicken or veggie)
- 2 sweet peppers (red/yellow/orange)
- 1 packet taco seasoning
- 1 packet guacamole seasoning
- arugula/cilantro/avocado/Greek yogurt/cracked pepper
Combine kidney beans, cannelli beans, sweet corn, crushed tomatoes, and guacamole seasoning in large pot.
Stir ingredients in large pot. If you will be at the house, go ahead and begin cooking on low.
About an hour or two before you want to eat the meal, brown the ground turkey with the taco seasoning. Also chop and sauté the peppers with a bit of taco seasoning.
Combine cooked turkey and peppers with everything else in the pot. Increase the heat to medium. Stir periodically. It is ready to serve in about and hour. But it can be held for a good while on low.
This is a mild chili. I've added Frank's Hot Sauce in the past for a little kick. I think that adds just enough zing, but prefer it just like as I've laid out above.
Garnish as you wish. I like to use arugula (rocket as they say in Oz) and avocado. I add Greek yogurt, lime, and cracked pepper when I prep it for my husband. Choose your own adventure!
Happy 10th Birthday Baxter Bear! I can't believe my baby is 70 in dog years! I wanted to make his day extra special. The highlights... a long walk at Bondi Beach in the morning, sunset chasing and fetch at the dog beach in Rose Bay (Sydney, Australia), a bath and grooming session with mama, and doggie pup-cakes! I have a peanut butter pup-cakes recipe that I have attached below. I'll also link to a few other recipes if peanut butter isn't your (or your dog's style). Leave a comment here or hit me up on social media and tell me what you think!
PREP TIME: 5 minutes
COOK TIME: 15-20 minutes
- 3/8 cup peanut butter
- 3/8 cup honey
- 1 egg + 1 egg white
- 3/8 cup applesauce
- 1.5 cup flour
- 3/4 cup oatmeal
- 1.5 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 cup peanut butter
- 1/4 cup honey
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray cupcake tray and/or line with cupcake papers. Mix together all ingredients. Pour mixture into 12 spots on the cupcake pan. Bake about 15-20 minutes (depending on your oven). Let cool. Mix together peanut butter and honey for topping. Spread over each of the 12 cakes. Enjoy with your furry friend!
These are quite dense and peanut-buttery. Careful not to put too much extra topping on or it may be tough for your big guy to eat! Baxter was hilarious eating his! And a little tidbit... They don't have any oil in them so I didn't feel to guilty eating two of them! You shouldn't either! Enjoy! xoxo
I like to use beach sprays two ways... I'll give my mane a little misty mist... spritzy spritz before I head down to the sand... and let the wind do the styling for me.... Or I'll use it on dry hair that is looking limp and haggard... to give it some swagger. ;-) Give it a whirl... You'll be singing... "I Whip My Hair Back and Forth" in no time!