Is there somewhere you've always wanted to travel that requires a lot of time in the air? A cool town in Europe, Asia, or Australia? A place you've been dreaming about? What's stopping you? Are you thinking something like this? "I can't bear to do that flight... it's a long haul. It's too overwhelming. I'll stay home. I can't do it!" Well.... I say.... "YES you can! And here's how!"
1. Load up on the H2O... Take it easy on the alcohol. It's always fun when the food and beverage cart comes by on long flights... and you might be extra excited that you don't have to pay for beer and wine.... But I advise against drinking too many booze. It's easy to get dehydrated on these epic journeys in the air. Alcohol adds to that likelihood.
2. Keep your toiletry bag handy. It's nice to be able to brush your teeth, wipe your face down, etc... I like to put wet wipes or hand sanitizer in there too. The other must have for your magic sack? Moisturizer? Your skin will likely get very dry while you're up in the air. Lotion will keep you comfortable. I recommend bringing a moisturizer suitable for your face and body.
3. Invest in a pair of compression socks. But buy them before you get to the airport. I forgot mine this trip and ended up spending about three times what I would have if I'd planned better! Compression socks are often recommended by physicians because they keep the blood flowing on long flights. They prevent achey legs and feet that can be associated with cramped seating.
4. Walk Around. Even if you don't need to use the restroom... Get up! Get moving every so often. I leave my seat every two hours or so. Just like using compression socks... walking around keeps the blood flowing and decreases chances of deep vein thrombosis.
5. Check the back of the plane for free fruit and snacks. I have found that on most long haul flights the airlines will keep apples or some sort of fruit in a couple areas accessible by passengers between meals.
6. Bring a shaker cup and protein powder. I like to bring the individual packs... and pick a blend that also includes some vitamins and minerals. This won't take up much space in your carry-on... and will be great to have if you don't get enough to eat or you don't like the meal you were served. Drinking a protein shake along the way will also ensure you are getting proper nutrition. Again, it also encourages you to drink more H2O!
7. Bring healthy crunchy snacks. I like to bring split pea snacks, dried chickpeas, or edamame. These are great between airline meals. The salt and crunch often gives me a little pick-me-up if I'm feeling motion sick or lethargic.
8. Pack a compressible, comfy, and cozy jacket or sweater. Sometimes these flights get cold. I mean COLD. The airlines will provide a light blanket, but sometimes that's not enough for me. This is a biggie... don't forget!
9. Fight jet lag by getting on your destination's time zone ahead of time... Here's what I mean... Even if it is mid-morning in your departure city... if it happens to be evening in your destination city... imagine the meal you are about to eat is your DINNER... not your breakfast or lunch... sometimes you can really fool yourself.
10. Consider eye masks and melatonin to help you sleep. A lot of folks like to take sleeping pills, whether over the counter or prescription. But I prefer to do things in more natural ways when possible. Eye masks (similar to headphones) can help tune out the foreign environment around you. Melatonin can help get your circadian rhythms on track for your new 'bedtime.' It is said to reduce the time needed to fall asleep.
Australia! Puerto Rico! Dominican Republic! Jamaica! Hawaii!
It's a zoo... with a view! An incredible view at that. The Taronga Zoo overlooks the Sydney Opera House and Sydney Harbour Bridge. Walking into the park we are greeted by giraffes grazing in the sunshine. They are a real crowd favorite. But my main reason for coming to Taronga? Koalas and kangaroos. The zookeepers are giving us an incredible experience. You ready for this!? A meet and greet with some of their animal ambassadors. It's feeding time for not just the koalas and kangaroos... but the emus... swamp wallabies... and quokkas. They are all feeling 'snacky' too! ;-) We're in for a real treat! Check out the above video to see what it's like to interact with these unique animals!
Sintra (not to be confused with Sinatra ;-)) is a fantastical small town not too far from the bustling city of Lisbon, Portugal. Easy trip. So hop on a train for less than 20 miles... and soon you will feel like a fairy tale princess! Seriously... I felt like I was in a Disney movie... just call me Jasmine. ;-) I would recommend blocking out about half a day for this trip. I imagine you will want to see the National Palace, Moorish Castle, and Pena Palace.
Spend just a few moments in Tuscany.. particularly at sunrise or sunset... and it's easy to see why these smooth Italians have been inspiring, artists, photographers, poets, and lovers for ages. The tall, slender, green cypress trees and shrubs lining the road's and property pathways are synonymous with the region. And the sun's rays bouncing off grape vines and olive trees all in perfect symmetry is breathtaking. Oh... and the wine ain't bad to sip on either! ;-)
My first trip to Tuscany is one I'll never forget. It got me hooked on Chianti Classico wine. The Chianti region is in the center of Tuscany... which is also in the center of Italy. I spent a few days in a villa enjoying the greens, oranges, and yellows of the landscape... and of course the tasty wine the area produces. Chianti wines were originally known for their traditional squatty bottles encased with straw... today they display a special seal of approval. Wines that exhibit the famous black rooster symbol are also certified as 'Chianti Classico' because they contain 80% Sangiovese grapes (the common red grape of the area) and 20% of other grapes native to the region or international varieties like Cabernet Sauvignon and Merlot.
Legs for days! These Radio City Rockettes are world renown for their annual Christmas Spectacular! People travel from all over the globe to New York City to see them. The ladies tell me the tradition has been around since 1933. For many of these dancin’ machines… it’s been a dream to be part of the team since they were little girls.
I've learned a lot of travel hacks from being on the road for breaking news and fun, road trip feature stories around the US, I also have a tremendous itch for world travel. I'll share long haul travel tips too. Hopefully you can learn from my mistakes!
Do you want 2017 to be the year you get your body back? Get the body you've always wanted? You can commit to 20 minutes, can't you!?! 5 days of 4 minute intense workouts. That's right... just 4 minutes a pop! It's a great start to get you on the road to establishing healthy fitness habits. Click here to get in on the action, workout with me, and have a chance to be featured on AnnaKooiman.com (and social feeds)... #2017TabataChallenge
I like to use beach sprays two ways... I'll give my mane a little misty mist... spritzy spritz before I head down to the sand... and let the wind do the styling for me.... Or I'll use it on dry hair that is looking limp and haggard... to give it some swagger. ;-) Give it a whirl... You'll be singing... "I Whip My Hair Back and Forth" in no time!
I just discovered a super fun and flirty pink lipstick and have to share! I normally wear more neutral colors like MAC Brave Lipstick with MAC Cultured Lipglass (gloss) or MAC Please Me Lipglass (gloss) on top... But this new MAC Viva Glam Ariana Grande lipstick makes such a statement. I've been getting so many compliments. It's not an everyday color in my book... but it is definitely a head turner... and screams energy and confidence!
I have been counting down the days until my Baxter Bear gets to be with me here in Bondi Beach, Australia. A lot of you have asked about Baxter on social media. And I haven't wanted to talk about it much because it is so hard. It is a painstaking process and it seems ridiculous. My heart aches when I think about it. Off and on I have been cursing the Aussie quarantine regulations. But I understand why they are in order. Australia is a wondrous place with unique and protected ecosystems and leaders want to keep it that way. The strict conditions are designed to manage biosecurity risks.
Friends! How ya feelin!?! I have missed you so much since my big move from television in New York City! Let's keep in touch. I'm so happy you found me here. I'm getting settled into my new home at Bondi Beach in Sydney, Australia with my husband. My hope is that this lifestyle blog dares you to dream... inspires you to take on new life adventures... and welcomes you to travel along with me on mine! xoxo
I am all about trying to live a beautiful and balanced life. This lifestyle section is a mix of whatever shenanigans I'm getting into... fashion, beauty, or home products or hacks that have made me happy... and hopefully they will serve you well too!
2017: NEW YEAR, NEW YOU!
Are you resolving to get fit in 2017? Let's train together! You can commit to 20 minutes, can't you!?! It's a great start. 5 days of 4 minute workouts. #2017TabataChallenge That's right... just 4 minutes a pop! I'm asking you to work out with me and have a chance to be featured on AnnaKooiman.com (and social feeds)! More info on how to take part is below videos...
Here's how to get in on the action... #2017TabataChallenge Tabata is one of the most efficient ways to burn calories and get in shape. Tweet me pictures or quick 10 second videos of you working out and doing Tabatas. For the next five days, my friends from Bondi Gym and I will be running you through Tabatas on the beach! We will post the workouts on social media and AnnaKooiman.com.
How do you do a Tabata? It only takes 4 minutes... It's 20 seconds of work... 10 seconds of rest... for 8 rounds. Pick an exercise like running sprints, box jumps, kettlebell swings, air jacks, squat jumps, etc. Watch the above video clip for a demonstration.