DIY Natural Baby Products, A Lovely Afternoon with My Sister-In-Law
Want to save some cash and save your baby from chemicals at the same time? I know I do! Read on to see what I mean.
I am now in my 39th week of pregnancy and doing last minute odds and ends awaiting my baby boy to tell us he's ready to come into the world. Hopefully my water breaks soon! LOL I am so ready to meet him and see his sweet face! This year for Christmas, my amazing sister-in-law gave me the perfect gift. She organized an afternoon together to spend some quality time while concocting some natural baby products. We had a lovely day putting together all kinds of DIY baby potions. I'm thankful she had the idea of pinching a few pennies all while enabling me to use natural baby products on my sweet boy once he gets here.
Below are recipes my sister-in-law found for homemade diaper cream, nipple butter, baby wash & shampoo.
Natural Homemade Baby Wash and Shampoo
1.5 cups liquid unscented castille soap
4 tbs vegetable glycerin
1-2 tsp almond oil or fractionated coconut oil
10 drops lavender essential oil
1-2 tbs filtered or distilled water
1. Combine castille soap, vegetable glycerine, almond or coconut oil, and lavender essential oil in a 16 ounce spray bottle.
2. Top with distilled or filtered water.
3. Shake vigorously.
Homemade Diaper Cream, AKA "Bum Balm"
1/2 cup organic unrefined coconut oil
1/2 cup pure shea butter
1/4 cup zinc oxide powder (careful not to inhale this when mixing)
40 drops essential oils (20 tea tree + 10 frankincense + 10 lavender)
1. Use a stove to warm shea butter (Do not melt it though. If you do it will not whip properly)
2. Combine all above ingredients in an electric mixer. Start on low speed and move to high in order to get the concoction a proper whipped consistency.
3. Place in small containers such as mason jars.
Homemade Nipple Butter
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
1 tbs dried calendula flowers
1 tsp dried chamomile flowers
1/2 cup extra virgin coconut oil
1 ounce (2 tbs) natural unbleached beeswax
8 drops lavender essential oil
1. Heat the olive oil, calendula, and chamomile over low to medium-low heat for 20 minutes, stirring often.
2. Allow concoction to cool.
3. Strain calendula and chamomile using a cheesecloth or coffee filter. Set infused oil aside.
4. Fill a saucepan with a couple inches of water. Place a glass bowl over the mouth of the saucepan. Bring the water in the saucepan to a simmer. In the glass bowl, melt coconut oil and beeswax thoroughly.
5. Mix in the infused olive oil.
6. Remove from the heat. Add the lavender essential oil.
7. Pour into sterilized jars.
8. Allow to cool before adding an airtight lid.
This is not a medical journal. As always, make sure to consult your doctor.